What's In My Mailbox?: The June 14th Edition

4696466980 6fbc035443 m What's In My Mailbox?: The June 14th Edition4695833045 6c6a28e945 m What's In My Mailbox?: The June 14th Edition

This past week, I only received one physical book in my mailbox, but my inbox was stuffed with ebooks to check out on my Sony eReader. Therefore, in today’s installment of What’s In My Mailbox?, which is a weekly meme on my site, I’m going to give you a rundown of both types of books that I’m excited to be checking out.

First on my list is Gayle Forman‘s debut novel and New York Times bestseller, If I Stay, which USA Today assures “Will appeal to fans of Stephanie Meyer’s TWILIGHT.” I’m really excited about reading this novel, not only because I’ve heard such good things about it, but also because I recently checked out a video in which the author reads from this novel and answers questions. Of course, I couldn’t find it on YouTube to post it here, but needless to say, she kinda blew me away. Read this book to learn about what happens when a girl who has everything, suddenly finds it all taken away.

Next, I’m really looking forward to jumping into The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa. From June 1st till July 31st, you can download a short novella in this series, entitled Winter’s Passage for free in a bunch of ebook formats. Who knows, maybe if enough of us with eReaders download this book, Harlequin Teen will come out with a physical copy as well (hint, hint). In addition, I received a galley copy of The Iron Daughter, so now I just need to get my copy of The Iron King, and I’ll be ready to begin reading them all. This trilogy is about the secret destiny of 16-year-old Meghan Chase. Unlike a normal human father, she was born the daughter to a mythical faery king. Can she save her little brother? Find out by getting in on the Iron Fey trilogy.

Two of the other galley copies that I was able to receive include Manifest by Artist Arthur and Wildthorn. Both of these books sound pretty amazing. Manifest is the first novel in a series of paranormal romances; when 15-year-old Krystal is forced to move to her mom’s hometown in Connecticut, she can’t imagine anything good coming of it. She does, however, start to see a cute dead boy named Ricky, who wants help finding his killer, and then meets up with two other teens with special powers and the same mysterious birthmark that she has. Sounds like a great summer read. icon smile What's In My Mailbox?: The June 14th Edition By contrast, Wildthorn‘s premise is one about a 19th century woman, who gets locked away in an insane asylum, which is something that happened to a lot of women in that time period as men could legally declare their wives crazy to get them out of their way. In this story, the main character is stripped of her clothing and even her name, so she would seem to be mentally ill if she insisted that she didn’t belong there or that she was called something else. Since this phenomenon is always something that interested me, I’m definitely looking forward to reading the fictionalization of it.

Finally, I also have the opportunity of checking out the new book by a local YA author named Lori Weber. In If You Live Like Me, is the story of Cheryl – a girl who loves the concrete and bright city lights of Montreal and who is therefore, dreading the family movie to St. John’s, Newfoundland. In a new novel that explores the bonds that keep family and community together, I can’t wait to see whether Weber’s rep as a “masterful storyteller” holds true.

If you’ve already checked out any of these books or are looking forward to reading them as much as I am, then please, take the time to let me know. I have a feeling that an extra copy of at least one of these novels will be arriving in my mailbox soon, which could mean a new, unplanned contest! icon smile What's In My Mailbox?: The June 14th Edition

14 comments for “What's In My Mailbox?: The June 14th Edition

1. Heather
    June 14, 2010 at 9:23 am

If I Stay is a great read, and it can bring tears to your eyes. I loved The Iron Fey series. Looking forward to reading your reviews on them.

2. June 14, 2010 at 9:58 am

Thanks for your comment Heather! I thought If I Stay might have that effect, and The Iron Fey series has gotten a lot of exposure on Twitter and other book blogs, so I’m really excited about reading / reviewing it as well. Somehow I’ve managed to avoid reading too much about The Iron Fey though…just to keep what happens a surprise for myself. :)

3. June 14, 2010 at 10:09 am

I’m loving the font and imagery on that Wildthorn cover!

4. June 14, 2010 at 10:45 am

Me too! It’s quite beautiful. :)

5. June 14, 2010 at 2:59 pm

The Wildthorn cover is awesome. Looks good!

6. Reading Vacation
    June 14, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Hey Melissa,

I am reading The Iron Daughter – I started it today. I just love the series.

That insane asylum story sounds a bit like the Salem witch trials book I just finished (The Heretic’s Daughter) except that the witch book was based on the author’s ancestor’s true story.

Melina

7. June 14, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Iron King and Iron Daughter are really fun reads! Winter’s Passage was really cute too. I hope you like them too. If I Stay would be one of my favorite books that I read this year. Sounds like you had a great week at your mailbox!

8. June 14, 2010 at 3:19 pm

I know! I really love how it looks. : )

9. June 14, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Hi Melina! Thanks for leaving a comment on my site. :)

Great – one more person, who loves The Iron Fey series. I’m really looking forward to starting it. As for the Salem witch trials book that you mentioned, The Heretic’s Daughter, it’s really amazing that someone took the time to develop a story from their own genealogy. If I have the chance to check it out, then I’ll definitely do that. It’s also a really important historical event.

10. June 14, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Thanks for your comment Melissa! It’s true – it was definitely a great week for What’s In My Mailbox?

11. June 14, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Haven’t read any of them yet, so I’m looking forward to your reviews!

12. June 14, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Thanks for your comment Liza. You’ll definitely know when I write them because I’ll be promoting them on Twitter for sure. :)

13. June 15, 2010 at 4:34 pm

If I stay, tear, was a tear jerker. I haven’t read the other, but I’ll have to check it out the next time I’m at the store.

14. June 15, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Thanks for your comment Kimberly. I’m really looking forward to If I Stay and all the others I mentioned. If by the “Other” you meant Wildthorn, it isn’t actually being released until September 6th, so you’ll see my review around that time. :)