Book Blogger Hop: The July 30th – August 2nd, 2010 Edition

4732408654 2c2fe8ef6f m Book Blogger Hop: The July 30th   August 2nd, 2010 EditionThis week, the organizer of The Book Blogger Hop, Jennifer asked us to answer a specific question about our favorite new-to-you author. I have to admit that this is a really tough question. It’s tough to narrow my answer down to only one author, but it’s not impossible (not quite I mean). This year I started my book blog (3 months and nearly two weeks ago to be precise), and it’s been an amazing journey. I’ve read tons of YA novels from some authors that I’d never heard of and from others that made it into my vision sometime over the last year, and each of them helped open up my eyes to a whole new world of literature. I also read a few novels for an adult audience, which woke me up to new possibilities about what a novel can be.

Though it is tough to select only one new-to-me author, I figured that by bending the rules slightly, I’d know exactly who to select, so that’s what I’m going to do. Today, I want to commemorate two authors that I’ve discovered this year. I’m sure that you can tell from my blog that I read books from a wide variety of genres, but I do have a soft spot for drama tear jerkers and both of the authors and all the books that I’ve read by them so far this year certainly qualify in this regard.

I read Audrey Niffenegger‘s extraordinary paranormal novel, The Time Traveler’s Wife at the very beginning of the year (before I started my site). I have plans of writing up a review about it at some point because I think that Clare’s dilemma will have great appeal for the teen market, even though the novel was written for adults. Though perhaps that would require a re-read, which wouldn’t be at all bad in my opinion. icon smile Book Blogger Hop: The July 30th   August 2nd, 2010 Edition The Time Traveler’s Wife was the first novel that I’ve ever read with alternating lead narrators, so it really opened my eyes up to a possibility that I’d always been told was “wrong.” However, it didn’t take long for me to fall in love with this narration style and make me realize that sometimes rules were meant to be, not broken, but destroyed.

While Niffenegger might seem like a bit of a wild card since I’ve never written about her novel on YABookShelf.com, Laurie Halse Anderson‘s writing has been somewhat of a mainstay on my site. Since I started reviewing books, I’ve read and featured both Speak and Catalyst, and I also have Wintergirls sitting patiently on my bookshelf waiting to be read. Moreover, I’ve written a couple of other commentaries that spoke of her character Melinda Sordino. These books hit readers (teens and adults alike) with not only a realistic portrayal of a teen girl’s thought patterns, but also with a truth that transcends the age differences. Her characters might not be perfect, but you’ll love the journey that reading through their perspectives permit.

If you haven’t read these books, then check them out. You won’t regret it! And while you’re at it, go hop on over to the Book Blogger Hop and meet some other great people and blogs.

11 comments for “Book Blogger Hop: The July 30th – August 2nd, 2010 Edition

1. July 30, 2010 at 12:22 am

Hello from the hop. *waves*

Haven’t read anything by either of these authors, but really want to!

Have a great weekend!

2. July 30, 2010 at 1:16 am

I’m an old follower but wanted to hop in and say hi!

3. July 30, 2010 at 7:50 am

Hi Cara! I’ll check out your site later (either today or later this weekend).

As for the authors I mentioned – you really need to read something by them. They’re a-mazing! :)

4. July 30, 2010 at 9:55 am

Hi! The Time Traveler’s Wife was a great book, so sad, though. Hope you have a great weekend!

5. July 30, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Hi Kelli! Yeah, it is sad, but those type of books appeal to me in some way. I love feeling the tug at my heart strings, and The Time Traveler’s Wife definitely did that, but at the same time, there is a lot of joy in it as well.

Have a great weekend!

6. July 30, 2010 at 7:22 pm

I’m a regular subscriber. Happy Friday. Come see who my new favorite authors are.

7. Meghan S
    August 1, 2010 at 12:20 pm

I loved the Time Traveler’s Wife, too! I haven’t seen the movie because I’m worried it can’t do such a wonderful (and lengthy) book justice. I own Speak and it’s on my TBR list. I’ve heard really good things about it.

8. August 1, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Hi Meghan – Thanks for your comment! Yeah, I did see the movie, shortly after I finished reading the book, and it really doesn’t do justice to the book at all. I can see how those who haven’t read the book will enjoy it and might even read the book because of it, but if you haven’t watched it yet, I’d avoid it. Speak is really amazing, and despite the subject matter, there is a levity to it – a levity that only someone who understands the sarcasm and attitude of teens could write. You’ll love it!

9. August 1, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Hello, I found you through the hop. I’ve read Speak and Catalyst, but not Wintergirls yet. Anderson is definitely a skilled writer! My new favorite author is Markus Zusak and I hope to get to read more by him.
    Have a wonderful week and please stop by my blog if you’d like!

10. Tresa
    August 1, 2010 at 9:27 pm

And the HOP is still ON … Sunday night and watching shows off the DVR ‘The Closer” to be exact – so forgive me for I am multi-tasking at this moment.

11. August 2, 2010 at 7:17 am

Hello @lex! Thanks for your comment! I haven’t read Wintergirls yet either, but it’s a book I own, so I’ll get around to it soon enough. I haven’t ready anything by Markus Zusak yet, but I’ve heard a lot of good things about The Book Thief. It’s good to know that he’s a favorite. Maybe I’ll check it out soon as well.