Faerie Tales Can Come True: Diana Zimmerman's Kandide

4910231343 219ab9399b m Faerie Tales Can Come True: Diana Zimmerman's KandideWhen I was a young child and tween, I had a love of fairy tales like no other. I say that, and you’re probably thinking, “Well, that’s what she says, but the truth is that I had a love of fairy tales that can’t compare with anyone else.” Or quite possibly you’ll be thinking, “Really…as a tween, you loved…fairy tales?” Whatever your reaction to my confession, I stand by my word on this one, and if you think that meant I was a little sheltered 12 year-old girl, then you’re probably right on that account.

Even as I read the unabridged version of Little Women and started ravenously devouring the Christopher Pike books that became popular when I was a young adult, the impact of fairy tales (or as I prefer to think of them, faerie tales) was still something I felt very deeply. In fact, around this time, I would sometimes imagine myself as Cinderella, though less in the beautiful princess, and more in the young girl forced to do unwanted chores for my grandmother, like cleaning out the kitty litter box and being forced to spend time in the basement with the children while the grownups talked about grownup things. Melodramatic, just a bit…?

Okay, no, you’re right, it was actually a whole lot more melodramatic than “just a bit,” but the point is that faeries stories made up a huge part of my understanding of the world at the time. Even now, I feel the effects of these stories on my early adolescence, so it shouldn’t be overly surprising that the latest news I’ve heard about the children’s book publishing market brought back these memories this morning. You see, I just read in Publisher’s Weekly that Kandide And The Secret Of

4910833570 0a15852455 m Faerie Tales Can Come True: Diana Zimmerman's Kandide

The original cover for the self-published version of 'Kandide.'

The Mists is getting picked up by Scholastic for a 40,000-copy print run and will be one of the featured selections that they sell in not only the Scholastic Book Club, but also their Book Fairs. “So what,” you’re probably thinking, right? I wouldn’t blame you since Mockingjay has a first print run 1.2 million copies. However, there is something you might not know yet, something that you need to know before you walk away with a complete understanding of the faerie tale I’m weaving.

If it was only that Scholastic decided to publish this book, then it wouldn’t be a faerie tale. The truth is that the author, Diana Zimmerman actually decided to go the self-pub route after being unable to find either an agent or a publisher for her firstnovel in The Calabiyau Chronicles series. She pushed hard to get the word out about her novel, and over the course of the last two years sold 12,000 copies on her own. Her efforts were something that the people at Scholastic couldn’t ignore, so now, her novel about a faery princess will finally make it into the big leagues of the publishing world. Yay…it’s a faerie tale a fait accompli!

On an interesting side note, the article in Publisher’s Weekly states that while many independent bookstores refused to sell her novel in it’s self-published form, she was able to break down the resistance of Barnes & Noble because of her commitment to promoting the book herself. It makes this reviewer wonder whether or not both big name and independent stores will begin to reconsider offering some self-published fiction to their clients. What do you think about this story? Do you think that self-published novels have a greater chance of success than they once did? Or do you plan on sticking to your traditionally published novels and that’s it?

21 comments for “Faerie Tales Can Come True: Diana Zimmerman's Kandide

1. August 21, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Melissa,

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you so much for your wonderful blog. I am so excited about the Scholastic pick up. I will be continuing spaking at schools this year to help promote it.

All my best,

Diana

2. August 21, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting on my post, Diana! You’re comments are greatly appreciated. :) Yes, the Scholastic pick up is really wonderful news, and I think that your story is one that can give hope to many aspiring authors.

Best of luck with your continued efforts to promote your book at schools!

3. August 23, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Hi Melissa,

Thank you so much for your fantastic blog. I look forward to reading more from you. I am Diana’s publicist and so very proud of her accomplishments these past two years. You will be hearing much more about Diana in the future. Thank you again….Kathleen

4. August 23, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Thanks for your comment, Kathleen! I’m glad that you like my blog so far, and hope that you appreciate what I put out in the future too!

Diana has really done a lot for herself over the last two years, and I think that more people need to acknowledge what she’s accomplished. :)

5. Nancy Yturralde
    October 24, 2010 at 12:47 am

Hi, I thoroughly enjoyed “The Secret of the Mists” complete with the beginning chapter of “The Lady’s Revenge” and so much would like to buy book 2. However I can’t find it anywhere, nor any reference to it except that there are 3 books in the Chronicles. Is it now published yet?

6. October 24, 2010 at 10:44 am

Thanks for your question, Nancy. In an article published by Publisher’s Weekly in August, I saw that Diana Zimmerman had just completed the second novel, so I don’t think it is published yet. However, I contacted both Diana and her publicist so hopefully I’ll have an answer about when it will be ready for sale soon.

7. October 25, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Hi again, Nancy! Diana said that because Scholastic has picked up the first book, publication of the second one in the series will be delayed until fall 2011. However, if you’re interested in reading a pre-read eBook of book two AND are willing to give her some feedback, then she welcomes requests to her from my readers directly. Just email her at kandide [at] kandide [dot] com.

8. Kirsten
    November 18, 2010 at 8:18 pm

My neice loves the first novel and wanted the second novel, The Lady’s Revenge for her birthday this Saturday. I have looked everywhere and cannot find it, until I stumbled across this blog. I am disappointed that it will not be released until fall of 2011. When it is released will it only be available through the schools or will I be able to purchase it online for her?

9. November 18, 2010 at 8:49 pm

I believe that you will be able to purchase The Lady’s Revenge online once it is released. Normally, it would have been released this year, but because a major publishing house – Scholastic – agreed to print the first book, they insisted that the second book be released a year after their re-issue of the first one. I do understand your disappointment of course though (and that of your niece too).

10. sarah
    November 22, 2010 at 7:52 pm

i am very dissapointed that it will come out in 2011 so i would like to ask you did Diana (the author) have any other series that are out or will come out?

11. November 23, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Thanks for your comment, Sarah. I don’t believe that she has another book or series coming out. Again, it wasn’t her decision to delay the book. Initially she’d self-published the first novel and was going to do the same with the second one. However, Scholastic bought the rights to publish the series, and since they re-issued the first novel, they didn’t want to release the second one until next year.

12. Florelle
    November 26, 2010 at 10:43 am

Hello! I have bought The Secret of the Mists at my school book fair and finished it. Now I want to read The Lady’s Revenge but I can’t find it anywhere! I have the scholastic version with the feather on the cover. It shows a picture of the next book in it. It shows kind of like a jewel thing. Where can I get this version? I loved reading this book and today is Black Friday and I am in need of a book. Although, I just read that it will be released in 2011 in comments above. On amazon, I have found it but it is a different cover. I know this sounds silly, but I like same-sized books when it is the same series. You know? Anyways, if you do reply Diana, I just wanted to say your books are really good and the series must go on to about 6-8 books. Another question:

I am currently wishing to publish a book with my friend, but I do not know how to contact publishers. What publishers do you know of and how can I get it published? Thanks!

13. November 26, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Thanks for your comment, Florelle. I’m not sure if Diana will see this anytime soon, but I have, so I thought that I’d reply with what I know. The Scholastic version of The Lady’s Revenge will be released in Fall 2011, so you have a lot of waiting before you can expect to read it. But there are tons of other books that might suit your need for a Black Friday book buy.

Usually you need to have a book written completely. Then you can start approaching literary agents. Many publishers only accept a new book and author if the author(s) have an agent. However, if you found the book at your school book fair, I have a feeling that you’re a teen, and if that’s the case, you’ll need to look for a publisher that is actually accepting manuscripts from teens because many just don’t do that. Hope that helps!

14. brittany
    January 8, 2011 at 7:33 pm

i am really sad to hear that i have to wait a while for the next book. i read the secret of the mists and i got a 100 on my AR test and now i am at 235 AR points. but i was wondering how many books exactally are their going to be? (the first book was amazing)

15. January 8, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Congratulations on your test scores, Brittany. I believe that there will be three books in total in the series, and probably the third one will come out approximately a year after the second one.

16. brittany
    January 10, 2011 at 8:32 pm

ty :D i am upset though that they are a whole year apart :(

17. January 10, 2011 at 11:13 pm

You’re welcome, Brittany. I can understand that it is a little disappointing, but many book series work the same way. (Just so you know.)

18. Emily Kol
    April 5, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I have read Secret of the mists and looked up the rest of the series
    there is Kandide: The Lady’s Revenge and Kandide: The Flame is Fleeting but i was wondering if you could give me a guess on when Lady’s Revenge would come out

19. April 5, 2011 at 6:53 pm

I can do one better than give you a guess about when it’ll come out. I KNOW that Kandide: The Lady’s Revenge is going to be published in the Fall of 2011. You’ll be waiting about 5 or 6 months, but I think, if you liked the first one enough that it’ll be worth the wait and anticipation. Most likely Kandide: The Flame is Fleeting will be published in the Fall of 2012.

20. Kelsi McEnaney
    November 22, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Diana are you going to finish the series of Kandide? Because I can hardly find a book that I like and I really loved this book, if you could please post on my facebook, Kelsi McEnaney, I would be very greatful

21. November 29, 2011 at 12:29 am

Hi Kelsi, This isn’t a place to reach Diana. It’s just a blog for young adult literature where I wrote about her. If you go to this website and click on the Contact link, then you can email her directly with your questions.