From Kick-Ass To Katniss?: The Hunger Games Movie Buzz

4956137974 14c28b8154 From Kick Ass To Katniss?: The Hunger Games Movie BuzzAccording to an article published in USA Today a few days ago, Chloe Moretz, the young actor best known for her role as Hit Girl in the movie Kick Ass, is leading the search for someone to play the role of Katniss Everdeen in the upcoming Hunger Games movie. Fans have been selecting their actor picks all summer long (and perhaps even long before the lead up to Mockingjay‘s August 24, 2010 release). According to this article, Moretz “has the inside track to star in the film adaptation for the first movie.” They also mentioned that Twilight‘s Kristen Stewart is on most of the online shortlists as well.

I’m a fan, and I have to admit that while Kick Ass was a great movie, and Moretz was perfect for Hit Girl, I’m not so sure that she would translate well into the role of Katniss. Sure, she has proven her versatility as a action adventure hero and more dramatic roles in other films, but as a 13-year-old, won’t she be a little too young? Katniss is 16 at the beginning of The Hunger Games and though she is described, as some of the comments pointed out, a bit malnourished and under-developed in the first novel, I have a hard time believing that she could convincingly portray a girl that much older. The benefit, of course, is that by the time the final movie gets released, she’ll still be an appropriate age, but will she be the appropriate size? Katniss is short, and while Moretz might qualify now, there is a good chance that she could grow 4 or more inches in the intervening years. (I know I did).

Do these issues of a characters age and height matter to fans? Do you think that Chloe Moretz has the look appropriate to play Katniss or not? Do you really all think that Moretz is the best actor for the job? You know my opinion, but I still want to hear yours. Let me know what you think about her playing your favorite YA heroine on the big screen and if it’s not her, who do you think should play the role?

35 comments for “From Kick-Ass To Katniss?: The Hunger Games Movie Buzz

1. September 4, 2010 at 12:08 am

I am a huge fan of Chloe; she was wonderful in 500 Days Of Summer & Kick-Ass. But I agree with you. She is NOT Katniss. Neither is Kristen Stewart. This isn’t some frilly role they can give out to anybody, and it just seems to me like casting so far is searching for “on the rise” Hollywood starlets right now. Which is so lame.

I wholeheartedly hope that KAYA SCODELARIO is up for the role. She’d be brilliant for it. She’s got the looks, the talent, she *is* Katniss to me.

2. September 4, 2010 at 12:18 am

I would take ANYONE over Kristen Stewart. ANYONE. *bangs head against wall*

3. Mia
    September 4, 2010 at 12:22 am

I know many fans reject her, minority though I might be, I’m one of people support Chloe for Katniss, the reason is like you mentioned, it’s hard to find young actress with versatility in both action & drama roles like her. For that alone, I’m willing to bet on her. She’ll be more than 14 when they start filming book 1. Katniss also grow in book 2 because of good nutrition/foods she had after won HG & she also got older in each book although not much. So it won’t be a matter with Chloe’s growth in the future.

4. September 4, 2010 at 8:24 am

Yes, I know what you mean, Katie about the “on the rise” Hollywood starlets. Hollywood is always hoping to find those who will be big in a few years from now, especially when they can get them early and thus secure a lower salary for them. ;) I understand why they do this from a marketing angle, but at the same time, I think that any Hunger Games movies really need – as much as possible – to appeal to the fans in a big way.

I’ve never seen Kaya Scodelario in anything, but I checked out pictures of her, and I see why you think that she could work. She can look stunning, but she can also seem like a regular-looking girl as well, and I think that’s important for the role of Katniss because she’s never described as a true beauty. Thanks for your comment!

5. September 4, 2010 at 8:24 am

Ha! Thanks for your comment, Casey!

6. September 4, 2010 at 8:31 am

Thanks for your comment, Mia! Chloe’s age isn’t as much of a factor to me. I’m sure that if Katniss was on the small side and a bit under nourished, someone of Chloe’s current age and size would work. The thing is that between the ages of 13 and 17, she’s going to have a growth spurt. It’s possible that she might always be short, but it’s also possible that she could end up around 5’6″ or 5’7,” which would be too tall for Katniss, who is described around 5’4″ only. Taking someone who is already 16 or 17 to play the role of Katniss for the first book would mean that they’d be closer to their final height, and even at the age to 20 or 22, she could still be cast as a 17-year-old for the final book.

7. September 4, 2010 at 8:39 am

Thanks for your comment, ecnewman! Yeah, I agree in regular movies, where there is no expectation about what the look of the character should be, then any actor who performs well on camera and is convincing in the role would work, but with characters that are described in depth to the degree that they are in a lot of movies, age and height can be problems.

At the same time, I agree with you that it’s rare to see a movie “teen,” who actually looks like one. So I think that what we’re saying is that casting is a difficult job, and I’m glad that I don’t have to do it. ;)

8. September 4, 2010 at 10:16 am

THis girl would be a great Prim? She is way too young. But she would be better than Kristen Stewart – she will forever be Bella Swan (lip bite and all)

9. ecnewman
    September 4, 2010 at 8:26 am

It’s silly, but height and age do sort of matter. I’m still bugged that Alice (Ashley Greene) is taller than Bella (Kristen Stewart) in the Twilight movies. Alice was supposed to be tiny, pixie-like.

Although it would be nice to see a child character actually look like a child and not an adult.

10. September 4, 2010 at 10:57 am

Thanks for your comment, kjovus! Yeah, a lot of people were saying that Chloe Moretz might be good as Prim…at least those that I saw said that.

11. ecnewman
    September 4, 2010 at 8:43 am

I cast my characters for my stories (someday they will be published, i have not lost faith!!). I use celebrities, unknown models (newfaces.com) and it always gives me a better idea of what they look like. okay, so it might be one of my favorite parts of the writing process.

but yeah, i’ve been on the casting process (student-related) and sometimes people surprise you. i had this character solidified in my head and a girl who didn’t look a thing like her came in and nailed the personality and dark humor. I don’t wish the agony of casting on anyone!!

12. ella
    September 4, 2010 at 1:36 pm

I like Chloe, but she shouldn’t be Katniss. Totally agree with you.
    Finally, a journalist who sees sense!
    Although, she might work as Madge (based on her less fierce roles like 500 Days of Summer).

13. ella
    September 4, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Also, I think that Lionsgate shouldn’t reuse her and find some new talent (an actress waiting for her big break). It would be taking the easy way out using Chloe, honestly.
    Sorry for the double post :P

14. September 4, 2010 at 1:45 pm

She looks like she’d be perfect for Katniss, even if she did grow a bit. By the time they start filming she’ll be 14 or 15 which works really well. Though she could also be really perfect for Prim …

As long as it’s not Kristen Stewart, I’m in :D

15. September 4, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Hmm…Madge – that’s a pretty good idea. Thanks for your comment, ella!

16. September 4, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Thanks for your comment, Sarah! I haven’t seen the Twilight movies, so I can’t say much about Kristen Stewart’s acting, but think it’s funny how many people have said something similar about her not playing Katniss. :)

17. September 4, 2010 at 2:57 pm

I can’t see Chloe as Katniss–not at all. And Kristen Stewart? Um, no. Maybe the best bet would be someone pretty new or “undiscovered”.

18. September 4, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Thanks for weighing in on this question, Shari! I think you’re right that, ultimately, I’d like to see someone undiscovered playing the role of Katniss. I mean, it’s great to make predictions based on actors we already are familiar with, but for any young actor to really inhabit the role, I think someone new would have a better shot of pulling it off.

19. Andrew Jones
    September 4, 2010 at 4:07 pm

I disagree with a lot of u…Chloe is a great young actress and would be awesome as Katniss.

20. September 4, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Thanks for your comment, Andrew! It’s always great to get differing opinions on a given subject. :)

21. September 5, 2010 at 7:42 pm

I don’t know who should play the role, but I don’t think fan votes have any impact on such things. I do think Chloe is too young, and Kristen too old, though.

22. September 5, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Yeah, I agree with you, Layla. The perspective of fans won’t likely change who gets chosen for the role, but it’s still fun to speculate. :)

23. Mia
    September 6, 2010 at 9:14 am

Thanks for reply, Melissa.

I think for 2nd movie (if there’s any), viewers won’t be too bothered by age & appearance anymore, as long as the actors/actresses give great performance in 1st movie. Viewers will mostly fully concentrated to acting, directing, storyline in 2nd movie. Most of them will forgive the growth in them, as they’ll think its inevitable & better to still use them rather than change them to another stars, as they’re already feel comfortable/satisfied with the stars from 1st movie. Like Daniel Radclife, he growth much each movies that he didn’t looks scrawny anymore like Harry in the books.

24. September 6, 2010 at 10:12 am

Thanks for stopping by again, Mia. I like this little conversation that we’re having. :)

You bring up an interesting point, one that I hadn’t considered. I think that there might have been some criticism in the media about Daniel Radcliffe not looking the role anymore, but I think that the fans don’t have any qualms about it. Moreover, if there were subsequent movies in the Hunger Games series, there wouldn’t likely be 10 years from the beginning of the first to the last as with the Harry Potter movies. I need to think about this more before I’m persuaded, but thanks for talking about it with me.

25. Jonathan
    September 6, 2010 at 8:44 pm

I understand if fans really wants the movie to be as accurate as possible, but Lionsgate will have to think deeper, from every side. They’ll want the film to have broader audiences than just the books fans. B’coz fans most likely will still watch it out of curiosity, but how to make as many as people convinced to watch despite being non-book fan? That’s why they perhaps can’t heed fans request too much. Non fans won’t bother the appearance and age, they looks for acting, directing, storyline. That’s why many movies based on books have pretty big differences than the source.
    Perhaps that’s why they cast someone like Chloë Moretz. Her gifted talent plus huge fanbase undoubtedly will bring people to come. Her name alone can made “Let Me In” remake haters calmed down. And as the fans of original movie “Let The Right One In” myself, I assure you, its very hard thing to do!

26. Bette
    September 22, 2010 at 7:48 pm

I want to try out for the part. What is shortest height you think? I’m only about 5′ 2

27. September 22, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Not sure as I have nothing to do with the casting of the movie, not really. I believe that she was supposed to be about 5’4″ according to the book, but again I’m not sure what the casting director would prioritize when searching for THE Katniss Everdeen. I’d think that acting ability would be more important to them. My comments here are merely as a fan of the series.

28. Jed Corman
    October 16, 2010 at 3:00 pm

How about Stella Maeve for Katniss? I think she’s a good match and at 20 (looks younger) could more convincingly play a 16 year old.

29. October 16, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Thanks for your suggestion, Jed. I think that Stella could have the right look for sure (I’m not familiar with her acting, so can’t speak to that), but I’m more for having a virtual unknown actor play the role of Katniss. Just my opinion. :)

30. Jim
    October 17, 2010 at 6:27 am

Yes! Brilliant idea–Stella Maeve first had that cameo in TransAmerica and then a bunch of other little parts till The Runaways where she played the drummer (with Kristen Stewart as Joan Jett). She’d be perfect–watch her in that MTV movie–Part 2 of My Super Psycho Sweet Sixteen–I’ve already seen the trailers and she is good!!!

31. October 17, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Hehehe…your enthusiasm is catching! Maybe I’ll try to check out a movie with Stella Maeve to see what all the excitement is about. :D

32. Reese
    December 31, 2010 at 10:43 am

i think Chloe will do good as Prim but i more like her to be Madge ’cause i think she’s too old to be Prim.

i’m hoping to audition for Katniss but i guess my height is shorter than her height, i’m less than 5 ft i guess.. more like 4’12” :(

33. December 31, 2010 at 11:36 am

Yeah, Chloe could work as Madge, but Madge is such a small part. She’d probably only be shown in the first movie.

34. Hayley
    January 8, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Not really Melissa. I mean in the 2nd book she does save Gale’s life and she is mentioned by Katniss often. And it is because she and Katniss are friends that Katniss realizes that there is in fact a rebellion going on in District 8. In my mind Chloe does not belong in this movie. She did a great job in Kick-Ass and i do not doubt her talent, but someone like Kaya or Hailee Steinfeld would be perfect for Katniss.
    As for Madge. I would hope they would use this small role to let a new actress enter the scene. I mean its not like they’d put the whole movie on the line if the actress was really that bad, and if they did they could of course get a new actress for catching fire or cut her out all together. Madge will have such a small part in the first 2 movies that she’ll only be there for a week. Ik some people are saying that dakota fanning should be madge but if they get her to do it they’d pay way to much for such a small role. They need someone that they can pay so little, but have them act very well for the 15 lines they will have.

35. January 8, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Madge is only mentioned in back story in Catching Fire. Yes, is is said that Katniss spends time with her and that she provides much needed medicine for Gale’s wounds, but these are just mentions of Madge. Her last actual appearance in the novels is the first one when she gives Katniss the Mockingjay pin. As for who should play her if not Chloe, I don’t really have much of an opinion though I think, like you, it would probably be an unknown actor. I wouldn’t rule out someone like Dakota Fanning though. A lot of really high-paid actors act in independent films and those with smaller budgets and willingly accept a pay cut if they really believe in the project. It’s quite possible that Dakota Fanning or any of the other celebrities who are expressing interest in the film would do the same, whether for a smaller role like Madge or even some of the lead characters.

I’m not sure that Chloe would be cast in this movie in any role, but my point in the article was she would be better suited to Prim than to Katniss. I wasn’t considering who should actually be Prim as compared to other characters.