Bad Girls Don't Die Vs. The Monstrumologist Book Trailers

5160288212 e4028d7e59 Bad Girls Don't Die Vs. The Monstrumologist Book Trailers5159685667 58af933ce6 Bad Girls Don't Die Vs. The Monstrumologist Book Trailers

I know that not everyone in the YA book blog community enjoys a great horror novel, but I certainly do. Today, I want to put the book trailers of two YA horror novels that I’m looking forward to reading head-to-head. Both of these novels came out in 2009, but I unfortunately, haven’t had the chance to read them yet. Check them both out and help me decide which one ought to be named the creepiest, scariest, or all around best put together book trailer this week. At the same time, if you see anything that you’re less than enthusiastic about, feel free to leave a comment about that too.

First up is the trailer for Katie Alender‘s debut novel, Bad Girls Don’t Die . I could tell you a bit about the book and the trailer right now, but you’ve really got to check out the book trailer before I do any of that (don’t want to ruin anything for you). Watch it now, and we can talk about it later:

In BadGirlsDon’tDie trailer, the music sets the stage. It’s tempo and atmosphere begins in a spooky way, but at the same time, matches the realistic, seemingly contemporary storyline maintained for the majority of the trailer, until the soundtrack and video changes three-quarters of the way through. Creepy, right? I for one wasn’t expecting the change in the trailer, even though I knew it was a ghost story. While the moment I’m alluding to totally makes the horror theme, I have to say that the irony of the voiceover saying, “Things are pretty dead around here” makes this good book trailer a great one in my opinion. We definitely saw more than the main character did, which makes it all the sweeter.

Next up is Rick Yancey‘s The Monstrumologist. I’ve heard great things about this book; it was highly recommended to me by one of the people I follow on Twitter, so I’m really excited that not only is the first novel out and about, but also the second book in the series, The Curse Of The Wendigo, was published a couple of months ago, so I’m excited to read both of them. There is only one book trailer for us to check out, so why don’t you check it out now:

Unlike the first trailer, the one for TheMonstrumologist consistently focuses on the spooky, creepy, and horrific. From the soundtrack to the mix of still and video images, every single element is meant to build up an atmosphere equivalent to horror novels and movies, but it means that we don’t get as much insight into the protagonist. Instead, we learn about the carnivorous monsters and the doctor who is studying them. Like the first trailer, this one also has a shock and awe type moment at the very end, but it wasn’t as unexpected as the moment in the Bad Girls Don’t Die trailer in my opinion. Nevertheless, it definitely sparked my interest further.

Now that we’ve watched and discussed both of the trailers together, it’s your turn. Take the opportunity to select your favorite trailer: is it gonna be The Monstrumologist or Bad Girls Don’t Die? Which trailer makes you want to read the book more? Which trailer spooks you the most? Place your vote today to make sure the trailer you prefer wins this week.

48 comments for “Bad Girls Don't Die Vs. The Monstrumologist Book Trailers

1. November 9, 2010 at 4:10 am

I love the Bad girls don’t die trailer, but that could be because I loved the book, and it definitely had me creeped out while reading it.

2. November 9, 2010 at 6:58 am

I’ve read Bad Girls Don’t Die and it was excellent! I really enjoyed it! For some reason I can do a bit of horror in books WAY better than I can on television and in movies LOL!

3. November 9, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Thanks for your vote, Ashley! I liked this trailer a lot, too, and your enthusiasm for the book makes me even more excited. :)

4. November 9, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Hehehe…thanks for your comment about being able to read horror books more than you can watch them on TV or movies, Amber. It made me laugh. :)

5. Alicia
    November 9, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I liked the Bad Girls Don’t Die trailer better. Ghost stories freak me out, but like Amber mentioned, I can do books better than tv/movies. I’m 31 yrs old and if a movie freaks me out, I still sleep with the side table lamp on. My hubby laughs at me…. but a book doesn’t have the same affect on me. Maybe it’s because I get to control the gore/images in my head. In a movie or on tv it’s done for me.

I’m just a scaredy cat!!

6. Lauren M
    November 9, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I have to say that I prefer the Bad Girls Don’t Die trailer. I liked the narration (the voice was really expressive) and how the trailer really told a story.

7. November 9, 2010 at 4:14 pm

I think what you said about why horror stories don’t affect you as much in a book as they do on movies or TV, that you can control the gore/images in your head makes a lot of sense, Alicia. Thanks for letting me know which trailer you preferred – so far it seems as though everyone is voting for Bad Girls Don’t Die.

8. November 9, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Thanks for your vote, Lauren. I agree with you that the voice over is quite expressive. I also liked that the trailer told a story, but not necessarily the one you’d expect to hear from a ghost story…at least not until the end.

9. November 10, 2010 at 8:35 am

I too prefer the Bad Girls Don’t Die trailer, even though I’m crazy about the cover or title of the book. LOL

10. November 10, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Definitely Bad Girls Don’t Die. One of my top 5 favorite book trailers I’ve ever seen!

11. November 10, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Hehehe…I guess they can’t win them all. :)

12. November 10, 2010 at 1:47 pm

It’s definitely up there for me too. Thanks for commenting, shabbygeek!

13. inkasrain
    November 10, 2010 at 5:44 pm

The Monstrumologist trailer. Captures the horror overflowing in the book really, really well. Plus, terrific novel.

14. Taylor
    November 10, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Idk, Bad Girls Don’t Die sounds very mediocre, especially since its Disney, and Disney things tend to be very cheesy. The Monstrumologist on the other hand didnt need a narrarator to be spooky, deffinately more intruiging. Bad Girls Dont Die sounds a little weak on the scary side, ive read The Monstrumologist and it’s a great adventure as well as very creepy, there were parts I literally felt scared and claustraphobic, it’s great with imagery and imagination as well as a newer twist with monsters.

15. Catherine
    November 10, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Monstrumologist by a mile! Well, by a minute anyway – Bad Girls was twice as long as it needed to be. I doubt if most people would take the time to watch the whole thing and even get to the “scary” part. Besides, I’m always up for a good ghost story, but I loves me monsters!

16. Barbara
    November 10, 2010 at 6:11 pm

The Monstrumologist is the most masterfully written young adult novel I’ve ever read. Rick Yancey’s compelling story of how the book came to be entices the reader and keeps him spellbound throughout the story. The vivid language, the thoughtful description, and the intuitive characterization provides a rich reading experience. I could not work in the garden for weeks without the loathesome anthropaphagi creeping into my mind. The one time I made the mistake of reading late at night, I was filled with terror looking out of my dark windows. Read The Monstrumologist and its companion The Curse of the Wendigo!!! Just don’t read them after dark!

17. Micheala Lachelle
    November 10, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Sorry but nothing could ever beat The Monstrumologist. It is one of my favorite books. Rick Yancey has an amazing talent for writing and he demonstrated that in this book. I recommended to all of my friends, who never read if they can get away with it and they devored it like a Anthropophagus. By the way if you want to know what this wicked creature is you’ll just have to read the book to find out!

18. November 10, 2010 at 6:49 pm

Oooh…first vote for The Monstrumologist‘s book trailer. I think we have a competition, now. Thanks for your vote, inkastrain. :)

I’m looking forward to reading this YA horror novel. I’ve heard great things.

19. November 10, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Thanks for your vote, Taylor. Thanks for your comments about The Monstrumologist‘s book trailer. You clearly thought about it a lot. I’m definitely excited about this book, but I’m interested in reading Bad Girls Don’t Die as well.

20. tess
    November 10, 2010 at 6:57 pm

While the Bad Girls Don’t Die trailier may have been more detailed, the Monstrumologist will have you shaking in your chair and having nightmares and paranoia for weeks on end, trust me on this. I’ve already read the sequel to the Monstrumologist at least five weeks ago and I still spook myself at night becuase it’s always in the back of my mind. The books are so well written, you’ll be sucked into it for hours. The characters are detailed and precise and even if you hate them, you love them at the same time. It’s not just an ordinary book where you can predict the outcome. Every chapter has a new twist and exhilerating turn. Bad Girls Don’t Die reminds me of a horror movie that you know what’s going to happen, but you just have to keep reading just to prove you were right. With this, you can guess all you want but the chances are, you’ll be wrong. If you want a book that’s going to leave you shaking and losing hours of sleep at night from being so terrified, Rick Yancey’s novel is the book for you. This is the opinion coming from someone who has read both books. Sorry for the long read, I felt it needed to be said.

21. November 10, 2010 at 6:58 pm

You make an interesting point, Catherine, that perhaps people might not watch the trailer long enough to reach the scary part. However, it’s also possible that the Bad Girls Don’t Die would attract a different type of reader than The Monstrumologist one. It might interest people that are into contemporary YA for example since much of the storyline is just about the main character’s day-to-day life. On the other hand, Rick Yancey’s novel would only attract horror novel readers and some paranormal lovers. From what I’ve heard of the gore factor (which doesn’t bother me one bit) it might be a bit much for a lot of readers.

22. November 10, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Hehehe…I love the challenge that you’ve set out of not reading Rick Yancey’s two novels after dark. Most of the time I have to read is after dark, especially now that winter is coming closer. Even if it does scare me to death, I think I’m going to dare myself to read them late at night.

Thanks for your comments on the novels, but what about the book trailer for it or Bad Girls Don’t Die. Would love to know which trailer you preferred, though I already know you’re in love with the novel The Monstrumologist.

23. November 10, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Thanks for your extensive commentary on Rick Yancey’s Printz Honor novel, The Monstrumologist. I’m glad to know that your recommend it to all your friends, even those who don’t read usually, but I’d love to know if you actually preferred the book trailer to that of Bad Girls Don’t Die. Personally, I think both trailers are intriguing, but it’s nice to know the opinions of others.

24. November 10, 2010 at 7:35 pm

No apologies are required for the long comment. The longer, the better as long as it’s on topic, and yours is. I liked that you talked about both books and even admitted that you thought the Bad Girls Don’t Die trailer is more detailed. I’m not sure that I want to lose a lot of sleep over a book, but I’m definitely excited about The Monstrumologist. Hopefully, I won’t get the constant nightmares.

25. Annie
    November 10, 2010 at 9:48 pm

The Monstrumologist trailer and book are in a whole other league. You can’t even compare Bad Girls to it. By far, Monstrumologist is supreme in all ways. Beautifully written and terrifying all at the same time. Who could ask for more? Just finished Wendigo and it is just as satisfying. Love, love, love this series and love, love, love this author.

26. November 10, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Glad you like The Monstrumologist book so much, Annie. What did you like about the trailer though?

27. November 11, 2010 at 1:40 am

Hi Melissa! I have both books on my list to read. I would say from seeing both trailers I am gonna have to say both seem like very creepy reads but I liked the trailer for Bad Girls Don’t Die better. Not to mention I’m a huge Photo junkie so this might be a bias decision, lol! Thanks for sharing both trailers though I enjoyed watching them=)

Thanks!

28. November 11, 2010 at 1:53 am

Thanks for taking the time to check out both trailers, Steph. Clearly you are interested in both novels – otherwise you wouldn’t have them on your to read list – but I’m glad that you voiced your preference for the Bad Girls Don’t Die one and the possible bias you may have had toward its photography theme. It’s always great when people take the time to lay the full truth out there.

29. Annie
    November 11, 2010 at 8:18 am

Love the time period feel and authenticity of the trailer. Very story related and it “feels” like the book reads. Draws you in and then “shocks” you…again, just like the book!!!

30. Aylee
    November 11, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Wow, honestly, the Bad Girls Don’t Die trailer is probably one of the best trailers I’ve ever seen (not that I’ve seen a whole lot). It was very well done though, very spooky. I think one of the main reasons I preferred it to The Monstrumologist book trailer is because it had the voiceover of the protagonist. However, I think the plot of The Monstrumologist sounds a bit more intriguing to me. I definitely want to read these both!

31. November 11, 2010 at 4:14 pm

I read Monstrumologist way before I saw the trailer, but the BGDD one really made me want to read the book. I’d stood next to Katie Alender at the Beautiful Creatures debut party/signing at Diesel Books in Brentwood, and decided to check out her website. Bad Girls Don’t Die creeped me out *soo* much! It’s definitely going to be my go-to-ghost-story if anyone needs a recommendation for Halloween. As for Monstrumologist, I just love the character voices. The novel reads like a classic, though it’s only a year old!

32. November 11, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Thanks for your comment, Annie. I think you’re talking about the Bad Girls Don’t Die trailer, am I right?

33. November 11, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Thanks for your comment about the trailers. Everyone has a different opinion about what works and what doesn’t, so it’s great to hear what you think. I agree with you that the voice over works very well in this case and that the trailer is, indeed, pretty spooky. It’s interesting to me that while The Monstrumologist is the book that you think is the most intriguing, you enjoyed the other trailer better. I think it proves something I’ve been saying for awhile on my site, that there are some well-put together trailers that may not completely get the interest of the books themselves, which is unfortunate. If that was the only way you were exposed to the novel, you might pass it up for something else. It just shows how important having a great trailer really is.

34. November 11, 2010 at 5:19 pm

It’s great to hear from people, like you, who have already read both books, and I understand why the Bad Girls Don’t Die trailer would make you want to read the book. I really appreciate your thoughts on both books, partially because I’m interested in reading them both too, but also because I already have a go-to-ghost-story to recommend people, Ghost Ride by Marina Cohen, and I wonder how it holds up. Finally, I love the classic Gothic genre, so anything that one can liken to it is something I want to check out.

35. Annie
    November 11, 2010 at 5:45 pm

No, I am talking about the Monstrumologist trailer.

36. daniel hermany
    November 11, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Your first book sounds interesting. I look forward to reading it. I have read both of Rick Yanceys and find them so awesome, I have bought and given them to several of my children and nieces and nephews.

As for the trailers, obviously the first trailer sparked my interest to where I am going to read the book, however, I believe the Monstrologist trailer was far superior.

As a side note, I appears when someone likes the first one, you agree or complement them on the choice. When they choose the second, (while you mention you want to read it) you mention how great the other one is etc. There appears to be a bias here.

37. November 13, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Thanks very much for your comment, Daniel. I’m glad that you’re intrigued by Bad Girls Don’t Die and enjoyed both The Monstrumologist and The Curse Of The Wendigo so much because I just received the latter two and am definitely looking forward to reading them.

As for the trailers, I would love to know why you think that the one for Yancey’s book is far superior. I’ll admit that I like the other one better, but if you give me a reason to consider why the second one is better, rather than just say it’s “far superior,” then it might cause me to take the chance to reconsider my opinion. In fact, I would welcome this chance. So far, most of the people who said that they enjoyed The Monstrumologist better spoke mostly about how much they enjoyed the book, or like you, just said that they liked it better, so there wasn’t much for me to say other than I was excited to read the books, too. Now that I’ve seen the books and noted that the interior actually has some of the medical instruments, I see how the trailer ties in better with the books themselves, but in general, I prefer either video or animated trailers rather than still images with text superimposed on them in the way that Yancey’s trailer is designed. However, if you give me an argument, rather than accuse me of personal bias, which is something we all have, then I’d be more than happy to consider my opinion over again.

38. November 13, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Okay, thanks for letting me know. I guess what you said about the period feel makes more sense, although the other trailer does have period houses in the photographs, so I wasn’t sure, especially since I haven’t read either of the books represented in the trailers. It makes it unfortunate because I can’t comment on whether I agree with you that the trailer “feels” like the book reads, but I’ll admit that now that I’ve seen the interior of the book, the old medical instruments that flash throughout the video make more sense to me in relation to the book. Thanks for your comments! I look forward to reading Yancey’s book so I can compare the trailer to it as you have done.

39. Zee
    November 14, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Bad Girls Don’t Die made me nearly pee myself with the person grabbing her, but the Monstrumeologist had a very spooky vibe. Except for the ending, bad girls don’t die could’ve turned out to be a light beachy chick lit.

40. November 14, 2010 at 7:18 pm

I liked the Monstrumologist. I love the images and the music. Really portrays the creep factor.

41. November 14, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Thanks for your comment, Zee. I think you’re right. Bad Girls Don’t Die could have been a lighter story had it not been for the end of the trailer, whereas The Monstrumologist one is spooky all around. I guess you really weren’t expecting that the trailer for Bad Girls was going to be scary at all. :)

42. November 14, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Thanks for your comment, Lorielle. I really liked the images, too, especial the old illustrations that are superimposed over the rest of the images. They had a look that was both creepy and period authentic (or at least had the appearance of being so).

43. Mike Schneider
    November 18, 2010 at 6:58 am

Monstrumologist looks awesome. I love the steampunk imagary in the trailer and can’t wait to read the book.

44. November 18, 2010 at 8:26 am

I agree with you about the steampunk imagery. When you pick up the book, I believe that you’ll find some of the imagery from the trailer is printed in the book’s interior, which is pretty cool in my opinion. :)

45. Annie
    December 2, 2010 at 7:30 pm

As the moderator why are you SO biased? You have tried to tell everyone not to “like” Yancey’s books so much.

46. December 2, 2010 at 7:35 pm

No, I think you’ve misunderstood my thoughts – I’m actually really looking forward to reading Yancey’s books and the fact that The Montstrumologist is a Michael Printz Honor book is obviously quite impressive.

47. Mya Roberts
    October 23, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Sounds so creepy and that’s exactly what I’m looking for!!!

48. November 1, 2014 at 3:59 pm