5114781867 fc0a646394 YA Book Shelf Weighs In On YA Novels, Fave Characters And Predicts Who SHOULD Win The YA Death Match4921900971 760b176b39 YA Book Shelf Weighs In On YA Novels, Fave Characters And Predicts Who SHOULD Win The YA Death Match

Have you ever stopped to consider why it is that you like YA novels? Maybe you’re a teen yourself and the books in the young adult section speak to your real life experiences or give you an escape from them. Maybe you’re like me, an adult who thoroughly enjoys the experience of reading books aimed at a younger audience or who just wants the occasional break from the adult fiction to which you’ve grown accustomed. Earlier this week, I had to think long and hard about this and other questions related to the YA reading experience. Why? Well, as you may have heard on Twitter, I was interviewed by the CBC Book Club, along with two other bloggers, this past Monday in conjunction with their month long YA book club feature.

In the interview, I discuss not only what attracts me to teen novels in the first place, but also who are my fave YA characters (hint: me thinks that Nina LaCour and Gayle Forman will like this part) and who I think should win the CBC Book Club’s main feature for the month, the YA Death Match. If the feature was called anything else, then I think the winner would be pretty obvious – the main character of the most popular, crossover YA book and movie franchise – if you can’t guess who I mean from that than maybe the hint that tonight at midnight the second last movie installment will be released at movie theaters all over North America.

However, I think you can guess that this isn’t my fave character to win the contest on CBC. I can’t help it – when CBC said it was a death match, there was only one character, who I think has the intelligence, the survival skills, and the ability to push the envelope in ways that the competition could never imagine. She’s the only character who has actually fought and won a real, gritty, violent death match against actual human beings. If you agree with me that Katniss Everdeen ought to win this, then take the time to check out this other article where she’s in the third round of the tournament against the one and only Harry Potter and vote for her today. (Voting ends tomorrow, so hurry!) And once you’ve voted, take the time to check out my interview in case you haven’t already. Enjoy!

What do you think: How awesome was my interview? Does the underdog, Katniss Everdeen, really have the chance to beat out Harry Potter in the third round of the YA Death Match? Can she do it all and win the entire competition? Would love to know what you think!

6 comments for “YA Book Shelf Weighs In On YA Novels, Fave Characters And Predicts Who SHOULD Win The YA Death Match

1. November 18, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I say yes (though later offer a caveat).

I don’t know if it’s because I’m female, but I identified more strongly with Katniss and thought she was more of a bad-ass. Too whingy in Mockingjay, but nicely complicated, flawed, but still sympathetic in the first two. I know Harry has his dark side, too, but until the seventh book, the more juvenile pranks and emotions of his character and entourage made him less formidable than Katniss.

It’s an interesting question, because to me the Harry Potter series is more on the “Y” extreme and the Hunger Games is more on the “A” extreme–and I do think the genre has been moving more and more toward “A” for a while (one reason for its popularity among adults). But it would be a bummer if it moved too far that way with not enough material for younger readers.

k.

2. November 18, 2010 at 12:54 pm

OMG, how can pick between Harry and Katniss????? That’ s impossible.

3. November 18, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Thanks for your comment, Kiley. I can tell that you’ve thought a lot about the pros and cons of each character and given your opinion based on this process.

I agree with you that Katniss is totally bad-ass, which is part of the reason that I think she should beat out all the competitors not only in this round of the competition, but should make it to the end. I know that a lot of readers argued that she was too whiny, etc in Mockingjay, but personally, I don’t think that is the case. Given the experiences she went through over the course of the other two books, I think that her behavior is completely understandable. She’s completely traumatized by the time we get to Mockingjay for good reason and the experiences she goes through over the course of that novel could break a lot of people. It’s true that a lot of YA, especially that which falls more on the fantasy/speculative fiction side of things, would not have this realism, but for me, it made her an even more formidable opponent because despite everything, she continues to give it her all.

The other point you raise – about teen literature moving from the “Y” extreme to the “A” extreme is interesting for two reasons. One, clearly Harry Potter was the first YA series that really started the crossover revolution, whether it was closer to the “Y” extreme or not. Two, I know some preteen book bloggers, who have actually read The Hunger Games trilogy even if it’s possible to think it should be left for the older teen crowd. You’re right that it might not be appropriate for all teens or maybe it would be a good idea for adults to read the books along side their preteen / teen children, so that they can discuss some of the more violent aspects of the novels, but I don’t think that the series can’t speak to younger readers. (But then again, I used to read adult horror novels when I was in the 3rd grade from time to time.)

4. November 18, 2010 at 1:32 pm

But you have to – one has to go on to the next round and finally, someone has to win the competition! Vote!

5. November 18, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Oh, geez, I’m so sorry. If it was anyone other than my precious Harry, I would support Katniss above all but I don’t know if I can in this case!

6. November 18, 2010 at 2:45 pm

You don’t need to be sorry, Aylee. I welcome all alternate opinions in this journey, but I’m also not planning on bending my own stance. :)