Reading Made Easy: End of 2010 Survey!

5114781867 fc0a646394 Reading Made Easy: End of 2010 Survey!4907703902 7da468ef98 Reading Made Easy: End of 2010 Survey!

Even though 2010 isn’t quite over yet, and I’m still plugging away at a bunch of books that I want (and need) to finish before 2011 begins, when I heard that Jaime from The Perpetual Page-Turner was hosting a fun end of year survey on books that bloggers read over the last year, I knew I wanted to participate. In 2010, I not only really got into the YA genre, but also I started this blog, which has been a real joy over the last 8 months. I’ve read so many great books, even some that were outside of my comfort zone, and I’ve met some amazing book bloggers and authors, who “get” how much I love reading. Connecting with you over some great books has been more than I ever imagined it could be, so thanks for stopping by, reading my blog, and participating when the mood struck. You’ve all made it so worth while.

1. Best book of 2010? I’m not sure if this is supposed to be the best book written and read in 2010 or the best book I read in 2010, so with that in mind, I’m going to give two answers. The best written in 2010 book that I read is Monsters Of Men by Patrick Ness, and the best book that I read in 2010 is Nina LaCour’s Hold Still.

2. Worst book of 2010? There were a few books that I didn’t like this year, but the WORST book of 2010 is a label that is a little to harsh for me to give any novel. I for one want to stick, mostly, with the positive, so I’ll have to pass on this question.

3. Most disappointing book of 2010? I fell in love with romantic and fairytale-like plot of Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater when I read it earlier this year, so I couldn’t wait to read the sequel, Linger when it came out. For an paranormal/urban fantasy novel, however, it was really heavy, and I, personally, had a really difficult time getting into the teen angst of the first half of the book. Isabel and Cole really grew on me, but their strength and ingenuity couldn’t combat the heaviness that this novel left me feeling.

4. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2010? Definitely Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters by Natalie Standiford. This novel made me laugh AND get over my prejudice about books about privileged rich girls.

5. Book you recommended to people most in 2010? This would be a toss up between The Hunger Games and Lucy Christopher’s Stolen.

6. Best series you discovered in 2010? Definitely Patrick Ness’ Chaos Walking trilogy.

7. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2010? Laurie Halse Anderson, Jill Murray, Lucy Christopher and Nina LaCour were all new to me authors that made my year.

8. Most hilarious read of 2010? Again, I’d have to say Natalie Standiford’s Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters.

9. Most thrilling, unputdownable book of 2010? Becca Fitzpatrick’s Crescendo

10. Book you most anticipated in 2010? Suzanne Collins’ Mockingjay without a doubt.

11. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2010? Michaela MacColl’s Prisoners In The Palace is absolutely stunning looking with a mix of modern and period-reminiscent design. I also really loved the look of Jane Eagland’s Wildthorn - there just is something about corsets that draws me in even as I resist the idea of them.

12. Most memorable character in 2010? Caitlin from Nina LaCour’s Hold Still and Kate Malone from Laurie Halse Anderson’s Catalyst really spoke to me in 2010, and I have a pretty good feeling that these characters will stay with me for a very long time.

13. Most beautifully written book in 2010? Hold Still by Nina LaCour and Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson tie in this category as well.

14. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2010? Hold Still by Nina LaCour

15. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2010 to read? The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

Have you read any of these books either in 2010 or in the past? Would any of them make your list if you already have or were going to fill out this survey? Let me know your thoughts and whether you’ve participated in this fun 2010 survey as I would love to see how other people answered them as well.

12 comments for “Reading Made Easy: End of 2010 Survey!

1. December 24, 2010 at 11:55 am

I’ve lost count of how many times the Chaos Walking trilogy has been recommended to me. I swear it’s pretty high up on my TBR but it still seems like I can’t read fast enough. So many books to read and so little time! I need a time machine or something to catch up with the amount of reading on my TBR.

2. Jessica Lawlor
    December 24, 2010 at 1:15 pm

I definitely want to read Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters after reading your survey! I’ve seen the book around, but never thought to pick it up!

3. December 24, 2010 at 11:36 pm

I’m hugely agreeing about The Hunger Games, which is no surprise since it’s such a popular book! I just read “The Knife Of Never Letting Go,” so I can easily believe that Monsters of Men is a knockout.

I like the thoughtful, nuanced way you answered the questions. Not picking a “worst” book–a classy move, IMO!

4. December 27, 2010 at 4:45 am

omg, i LOVE the Chaos Walking trilogy, SOOOOO good! also adored Hold Still, definitely an amazing book. awesome post :)

5. December 27, 2010 at 12:28 pm

I know exactly what you mean about not having enough time to read everything you want to check out, Aylee. I’ve read a lot of books this year, but there are always other things to do, so it’s hard to keep up with the ones you want to read.

6. December 27, 2010 at 12:28 pm

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, Jessica. :)

7. December 27, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Thanks so much for your comment, Nora. I’m glad you liked the way I answered the questions as well as some of the choices that really blew me away.

I just couldn’t answer the worst book for a few reasons. First, I just don’t like the idea of the question in general, which seems to suggest there are no redeeming factors at all in the book. I don’t think that is true of any book – even when there might be a lot of ways it could have been improved, I’m sure that there will be at least one good point. Second, I know that I’m not suited to read all books. I’m not the target audience, and sometimes that means I just can’t get into it or I can understand what it’s doing, but it’s not enjoyable to me. During my M.A. degree it became quite apparent that I’m really not a lover of early 20th British literature, for example. I know that some of these authors are considered some of the most brilliant in the last 100 years, but I could much rather read a Victorian novel any day. It doesn’t mean that they’re bad books; they’re just not my thing. I think the same would be true for a lot of different novels, so I know my not enjoying something never means it’s the worst book.

8. December 27, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Yeah, I’m soooo glad that the Chaos Walking trilogy was recommended to me by Cecil Castellucci. Each book added additional layers that I didn’t anticipate, but which built on the power of the first book and really worked for me. I clearly can’t say enough about it or Hold Still – I loved a lot of books, but they really took the cake this year. Glad you enjoyed it, Audrey! :)

9. December 29, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson is haunting beautiful.
    Great list. I needed some recommendations today!
    Happy New Year.

10. December 29, 2010 at 12:57 pm

I completely agree with you about, Catalyst, and I’m glad that you liked my list!

Have a great New Year!

11. December 31, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Hi Melissa,

Wow, thank you so much for all of the wonderful things you said about Hold Still! I’m so, so honored. Your support means so much to me as I plug away at the next one. I hope you have a wonderful 2011!

Love,
    Nina

12. December 31, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Nina – thanks so much for stopping by, even as you’re plugging away at your next novel. It was my pleasure to say these things about Hold Still because I really enjoyed it. I hope you have a wonderful 2011, too!