What I’m Reading Could Be Yours: Something Wicked

4701142365 1ea7c86228 What Im Reading Could Be Yours: Something Wicked

On the weekend, I finished reading the debut novel by Lesley Anne Cowan, entitled As She Grows. (Keep checking my blog for the review of this book, which I’ll be posting later this week.) What readers of this novel may not realize is that the first book is actually the beginning of a series of books about teen girls, who have troubled lives. Once I finished Cowan’s first novel, I immediately started reading the second novel in the series, which just hit stores on June 1, 2010, called Something Wicked. I might only be on page 154 of 263, but I already like where the author is going with it.

Although SomethingWicked is the second book in the series, you can definitely get away with picking up this book first and going back to the first novel later because it isn’t by any stretch of the imagination a sequel. While As She Grows follows the story of Snow Cooke, the main character in the second novel is 16-year-old Melissa, who gets dumped by her 28-year-old boyfriend early on in the novel. To deal with her heart break, Melissa ends up sleeping with a lot of random guys and partying with all the drugs and alcohol she can get her hands on. Through Melissa’s own thoughts about herself, the novel forces the reader to contemplate questions like, are some people just born wicked or are those who have gone down an unhealthy path have a chance to turn their lives around? If you’ve read the first novel, you will recognize some of the minor characters, like Snow and Jasmyn, but they are more on the sidelines. Look for my review sometime next week.

If the little bit that I’ve said about this novel intrigues you and you live anywhere in Canada, then I have something that might put a smile on your face. Penguin Canada has generously agreed to let me offer 1 copy of Something Wicked for my next YA giveaway. The contest will close on Friday, June 25, 2010 at 12 midnight EST, but get your entries in early, so you don’t miss your chance to win! This one is for Canadian residents only at the request of the publisher. Good luck!

14 comments for “What I’m Reading Could Be Yours: Something Wicked

1. Suzanne
    June 15, 2010 at 4:27 am

This book sounds like the start of a very interesting series. I love contests too! :-)

2. June 15, 2010 at 4:32 am

It might be a little difficult for you to find this book in the US for now at least. I could only find the first book, As She Grows on Amazon.com and some other independent bookseller sites, but then again, it did just come out in Canada. :)

Unfortunately, this contest is ONLY open to Canadian residents.

3. Chrisbookarama
    June 15, 2010 at 9:15 am

Haven’t heard of this series but I’m curious enough to try it.

4. Shari
    June 15, 2010 at 9:17 am

Sounds like a good series, for sure! I love it when there are recurring characters to tie books together.

Thanks for offering this contest, Melissa! :)

5. June 15, 2010 at 10:03 am

Thanks for your comment Chrisbookarama! I can definitely say that As She Grows was a very powerful novel. Look for my review tomorrow! As for Something Wicked, the more I read of it, the more I think wow. I’m glad that you’re interested in checking out Lesley Anne Cowan’s books – I love being able to support up-and-coming Canadian writers. :)

6. June 15, 2010 at 10:08 am

Thanks for your comment Shari! It really is a great series so far.

I’m really happy to be offering this contest, and for those of you who are Canadian, I’m going to be offering a few more this summer where the winner can only be from Canada – so keep checking! :)

7. Beth
    June 15, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Hmm, this sounds like an interesting read. I’ve not heard of this author before. I shall be checking out my library to see if they have the first book.

8. June 15, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Thanks for your comment Beth! I hadn’t heard of Lesley Anne Cowan either until I checked out the selections in Penguin Canada’s Point of View books, but I have to say that I’m really glad I did.

9. Jeremy West
    June 16, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Awesome contest! I can’t wait for this one.

10. Melanie
    June 16, 2010 at 6:27 pm

I haven’t heard of this author before. This sounds like a great series!

11. June 16, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Thanks for your comment Jeremy! It’s definitely a great book – have you already read the first book As She Grows?

12. June 16, 2010 at 7:40 pm

It really is a great series! The author, Lesley Anne Cowan, teaches troubled teens, just like those that she writes about. Of course, she doesn’t use any one of their stories because that would be a breach of their confidence in her, but her experience with and of them really colors the books. For example, she said that Snow, the main character of the first book, is an amalgamation of 8 girls, but more than anything, she said that she downplays some of the circumstances because she wants it to seem more believable. It’s still crazy to think that anyone suffers through these type of events.

13. Natasha
    June 24, 2010 at 5:49 pm

I haven’t even heard of this series yet! It sounds really good. Thanks for the heads up!!

14. June 24, 2010 at 5:57 pm

It really is great – check out my reviews of As She Grows and Something Wicked for more info!