Suzanne Collins Reads From Chapter One of Mockingjay

4921900971 760b176b39 Suzanne Collins Reads From Chapter One of MockingjayOver the last couple of months, I’ve read not only The Hunger Games , but also I just finished reading Catching Fire Sunday morning. And unlike 10,000s of other people, it wasn’t a re-read. This past weekend was the first and only time that I’ve ever read the second novel in the Hunger Games trilogy, and it was so worth the wait.

Now, however, I’m in the difficult situation of having past the last two days in agony, waiting for the final novel in the series to make it’s way to the shelves of my local indie. I’m going to be getting up early to set off across town on my bike to pick up Mockingjay. I’m hoping to be the first person who purchases a copy from the store, but I guess I can live if it doesn’t turn out that way, especially now that I’ve already checked out part of the first chapter.

Actually, it was an even better experience than finding a sample or random copy in a store that wasn’t cooperating with the strict embargo that Scholastic instated for this novel. Why? Well, for the first time, I heard the voice of how Katniss was meant to speak from the mouth of Suzanne Collins herself. In case you haven’t seen it yet, check it out now:

Wasn’t that awesome?!? Yeah, I thought you’d like that. icon smile Suzanne Collins Reads From Chapter One of Mockingjay

I also wanted to point out, in case you missed it, that Suzanne Collins appears to be wearing the Mockingjay charm on her necklace. We’d have to get a little bit closer to know for sure, but I’m about 99% positive already, and I think that you should be too.

Now, go to sleep and rest, so that tomorrow morning, when you actually make your way to the bookstore, you can come home and read, and read, and read some more.

6 comments for “Suzanne Collins Reads From Chapter One of Mockingjay

1. August 25, 2010 at 10:52 am

Normally, I answer every comment on my blog, Lily, so I want to respond…really I do. However, I figure that since I’ve just finished Mockingjay anything I say would be a spoiler. And I can’t stand that…. :)

2. Lily
    August 25, 2010 at 9:28 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Peeta cannot be dead! Peeta has to be alive!

3. Colleen
    August 25, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Well now I have to reread all three books in a southern accent. :0)

4. August 25, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Hahaha…I tried to read to read Mockingjay in a Southern accent, but I couldn’t do it. Maybe it would be something to try in a subsequent read through though. (There will definitely be additional read throughs.)

5. Tiff
    August 25, 2010 at 11:11 pm

I was shocked that Katniss had a Southern accent, but I guess it shouldn’t be so shocking since she’s from the Appalachians. I can’t read it like that, though – I’m a big fan of hearing the character’s voice as I picture/hear it.

6. August 25, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Thanks for your comment, Tiff! I know what you mean…I feel like I knew she was supposed to have a Southern accent even before I heard it, but at the same time, it was shocking. I think that’s the same thing that I thought when I first heard David Sedaris read from his book Naked – the shock was more that I hadn’t read it in the same way, then that it was shocking. (If that makes sense). I think it’s good to be able to hear the voice, sometimes it even changes the pace of your reading, but it usually happens for me when I am really familiar with the autho’s spoken voice, more so than I try to read in the character’s voice on purpose.